What documents do I need for my building approvals application?

The documents required for a development application will depend upon your site, proposed development and the zoning. Plan Approvals will prepare a full set of architectural plans and planning reports for your project, including:

  • Site analysis report
  • Drafted architectural plans 
  • Statement of Environmental Effects
  • Shadow diagrams
  • Concept landscape plans
  • Storm-water drainage design
  • Waste management plan
  • External colours and finishes schedule
  • BASIX Certificate
  • Disability access report
  • Bushfire report
  • Neighbour notification plans

We also obtain any other required documents, including:

  • Sydney Water Building Plan Approval
  • Heritage Impact Statements
  • Flood reports
  • Geotechnical Reports

What are the steps to getting my development approval?

With our 6-steps to fast-tracking your development application process, we aim to assist you to get your building approval as quickly as possible.

Step 1: Preliminary planning assessment
Step 2: Development application process to suit your project
Step 3: Preparation of your plans, reports and drawings
Step 4: Submission of development application
Step 5: Assessment process with regular progress updates
Step 6: Determination

Can you help me with my swimming pool approval and fencing requirements?

Yes, we can assist with the planning approvals and fencing requirements. Under the Building Act 2016 swimming pools are separated into different risk categories of work.

Swimming pool fencing and barriers must be constructed to meet Australian Standards. Prior to the installation of a pool you should consult with our Building Certifier to find out about your pool fencing requirements.

Swimming Pools:

Category 1 – Low Risk Pool – is a relocatable swimming pool that is temporarily erected, more than 300mm deep but less than 9 square metres in area; this does not require approval, but is required to be located within an existing swimming pool access barrier that is built to meet the Australian Standards. Please consult with our private building certifier for the requirements for your pool fencing.

Category 2 – Low Risk Pool – is a permanent pool or spa pool that is not elevated, not located in a landslip hazard area, more than 300mm deep and with a maximum footprint area of 18 square metres.

Pool fences associated with this type of pool is not Low Risk but is Category 3. Notifiable Building Work, that our Building Certifier must certify prior to you and your family using the pool or spa.   

Category 3 – Medium Risk Pool – is any pool which does not meet the requirements of Category 1 or Category 2. It will fall within Category 3 Notifiable Building works. Prior to installing any pool or spa within this category you need to engage our experienced and knowledgeable private certifier.

This information relating to pools and fencing is general in nature and intended to provide awareness as you plan your new swimming pool installation and fencing. It is your responsibility, as the pool owner, to ensure your site is assessed for compliance with Building Act 2016.

Please note that the cost of installing a fence which complies with the Australian Standards can be higher than the purchase cost of some types of swimming pools.

I want to modify my approved building work. Can you help me?

Yes, we can. If you already have a building permit to carry out building works, variations to your approval may be possible. Before you begin construction, you need to speak with our private building certifier. Some variations may require consent from Council.

What is a ‘planning principle’?

A planning principle is a reasoned statement of a desirable outcome aimed at establishing appropriate matters to be considered in making a planning decision.

While planning principles are stated in general terms, they may be applied to particular cases to promote consistency. Planning principles are not legally binding and they do not prevail over councils’ plans and policies.

Planning principles assist when making a planning decision, including:
• where there is a void in policy or
• where policies expressed in qualitative terms allow for more than one interpretation or
• where policies lack clarity.

Thinking about a passive home?

Interested in sustainable building or renovating your home? We can work with you to create a comfortable energy efficient home with low impact on the environment, more economical to run, healthier to live in and adapted to suit you and your family’s changing needs. Find out more about sustainable homes.

What are your payment terms?

We accept payment by cheque, cash or direct bank deposit.

When can I start building works on site?

If the proposed building work needs development consent, work can not commence on site until the construction certificate has been issued. Building works that have substantially commenced or have been completed will require an application through your local council. If works are commenced or completed on site prior to the issue of the CDC, your CDC will not be valid and an Occupation Certificate cannot be issued. A new application will then be required to be lodged into council. This is because a Complying Development Certificate cannot be issued retrospectively. Additional documentation may also be required.

Are there other services you can recommend?

Jewellery Design